Python for Scientists & Engineers
Scientists need programming skills in Python to analyze their data but have rarely had any programming education during their Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Therefore, the Python for Scientists & Engineers course has two distinct goals and teaches
- to analyze, interpret and visualize scientific data to create publication ready plots
- good programming practice, version control with GIT and virtual environments
The course is suited for people with previous experience in other programming languages and for people who already have experience with Python looking to improve their skills. A lot of previous participants have been self-taught and appreciated the structured introduction to Python and the variety of topics covered in this course.
The course is also suitable for absolute beginners in programming, however, beginners should plan to invest additional time between tutorials to learn fundamentals from the additional resources.
The course is held in English. It can be taken on-demand or as a blended learning course. The on-demand modules each contain
- a 60-90 minute video lecture that participants can watch when it suits them
- exercises for the participants to apply what they have learned
- Introduction, Jupyter, Virtual Environments, Notebook extensions, Python fundamentals
- Syntax, PEP8, Keyboard shortcuts, Introduction to Numpy and Matplotlib
- Advanced Numpy, Pandas, File Input & Output, ChatGPT
- Advanced Matplotlib, Inset Plots, Contour Plots, Interactive Plots
- GIT, String Formatting, Video Creation, Notebook Structure
- Interpolation, Fitting, Complex Fitting, Filtering, Data analysis example
- Creating Files, Generators, Parallelization, Sympy, Integration of Plots to Overleaf